Use of Personal Information:
Information collected and used by Soar Aviation will be collected and managed in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 as amended, including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
Soar Aviation will at all times ensure that the information collected about an individual, from the individual themselves, including students, clients, and staff, and the collection and storage of their personal information, will be secure and not distributed without that individual’s explicit written consent.
Soar Aviation takes all reasonable steps to keep personal information secure at all times and ensures that the personal information it collects, and discloses to others, is accurate, complete, and up to date. If an individual establishes that the information held about them is not accurate, complete, up to date, relevant or misleading; once notified of this, Soar Aviation will take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
Personal information is collected for the primary purposes of creating enrolment records, determining funding eligibility and sources, reporting training activity and USI validation. The personal information collected and held by Soar Aviation could include but is not limited to:
- Date of Birth
- Current and previous overseas and Australian address
- Telephone number/s
- Email addresses
- Driver Licence Number
- ABN / ACN
- Tax File Number (TFN)
- Passport Number
- Visa number and class
- Bank Account Details
- Health Care Card
- Birth Certificates
- Unique Student Identifier
- Victorian Student Number
- Diversity Status
- Relevant Sensitive Information (e.g. health and/or disability)
- Collection of personal information
Soar Aviation collects personal information in a number of ways, including, but not limited to:
- information from applicants expressing interest or applying for enrolment into a Soar Aviation course, collected on Soar Aviation Expression of Interest and Enrolment Application forms (electronic or hard copy)
- information from Education Agents acting on behalf of students where students have expressively authorised the Education Agent to act on their behalf
- personal details collected at marketing activities, expos, from email enquiries and interested parties seeking information about SAFT services, training opportunities and eligibility for government funding.
Personal information will not be collected unless:
- the information is collected for a purpose directly related to Soar Aviation training services
- the collection of the information is necessary for that purpose.
Use of personal information
Personal information collected may be used:
- To create a student record in the SAFT Student Management System (SMS) and record individual information in each student’s file.
- To record student information and progression of training and education courses in the Student Management System
- To apply for enrolled students’ Unique Student Identifier (USI) on their behalf, once written permission from the student has been attained
- To access the Unique Student Identifier (USI) register to substantiate student claims of previous study for eligibility or skills recognition purposes, once a student’s written permission has been obtained
- To record student information and issue Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) in the Provider Registration and International Student Management System (PRISMS)
- To maintain evidence of participation, progression and completion in individual student (hard copy and electronic format) files.
- To assist in the determination of an applicant’s eligibility for State and Federal Government subsidised funding or co-funding
- To enable the reporting of AVETMISS data under ASQA activity reporting requirements
- To report applying students to HEIMS for the purpose of them obtaining access to VET FEE-HELP
- For sending notifications related to the training services to individuals at their request
- For emergency contact details for the purposes of contacting appropriate next of kin in the event of an unforeseen emergency
- Supply of information to CASA in relation to the students learning outcomes.
Where personal information is collected for inclusion in records held by Soar Aviation or for transfer to a government authority, Soar Aviation will make known why the information is being collected and with whom the information may be shared. The information will only be collected if relevant to that purpose.
The collection of the information must not intrude to an unreasonable extent upon the personal affairs of the Student.
Unique Student Identifier
Soar Aviation will verify with the Registrar, a Student Identifier number provided by an individual before using that Student Identifier for any purpose ensure that it will not issue AQF certification documentation to an individual without being in receipt of a verified Student Identifier for that individual unless an exemption applies under the Student Identifiers Act 2014 ensure that where an exemption applies, it will inform the student prior to either the completion of the enrolment or commencement of training and assessment, whichever occurs first, that the results of the training will not be accessible through the Commonwealth and will not appear on any authenticated VET transcript prepared by the Registrar, and
ensure the security of Student Identifiers and all related documentation under its control, including information stored in its student management systems.
Access to personal information
Students may apply in writing to the CEO to be given access to their own personal information held by Soar Aviation. Access will be granted within 10 business days. Soar Aviation will not disclose any personal information without first establishing the identity of the person requesting the information.
Storage and security of personal information
Soar Aviation has implemented technology and security systems, policies and measures to protect the personal information we collect. Personal data is protected, by security safeguards against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
Soar Aviation will maintain operational procedures to manage
- the nature of the records of personal information kept
- the purpose for which each type of record is kept
- the period for which each type of record is kept;
- the persons who are entitled to have access to personal information held by SAFT
- the conditions under personal information can be accessed
- the steps that should be taken by persons wishing to obtain access to that information.
Soar Aviation will not disclose the information it collects from an individual unless
- the individual concerned has been made aware that information of that kind is usually passed to that person, body or agency;
- the individual concerned has consented to the disclosure
- Soar Aviation believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of the student or of another person
- the disclosure is required or authorised by or under law, or
- the disclosure is necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of the public revenue.
- Where personal information is disclosed for the purposes of enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the purpose of the protection of the public revenue, the record-keeper shall include in the record containing that information a note of the disclosure.
Any complaint by an individual regarding Soar Aviation’s management or handling of personal information should be forwarded to the CEO.
To enable a complaint to be properly understood and acted upon it is requested that the complainant follow the Soar Aviation Complaints and Appeals Policy and Procedures.
The Student Administration Manager is responsible for the implementation of this policy and procedure.